Saturday, September 13, 2008

License to Blog

If life were a James Bond movie, just like a license to kill is required belonging of Double-O Seven, a license to Blog should be a modern day writer's permit. Technically since we have to blog for our Advanced Composition class, I suppose we should only be given a "driver's permit" type blogger's license until we have proven to our virtual audience that whatever we are saying is valid and somewhat enticing to read. However, as I'm sure Myspace.com and facebook.com have proven to us all, there is no such requirement. Any one with online access is free and even encouraged in today's era to blog their little hearts out. I for one would not ever presume to have something so important to say as to create my own blogspot. I kind of think that bloggers are full of themselves and a lot of hot air. I would have hoped that the technology of bringing everyone's thoughts to the forefront of the internet's possibilities would have been more eagerly reserved for those members of society with actual valid opinions which also have some credibility behind it. For the most part, however, blogs are typically just a place where people can publish thoughts and feelings which should, in my opinion of course, simply be reserved for their private diaries or journals. Not the entire internet surfing public at large. I do not appreciate that some nobodies blog will appear as I try to find valid research on a topic for a paper, or otherwise interrupt the search results with unreliable rants on a topic of discussion. Join the debate team if you have that much to say, or better yet, join some public organization which might benefit from your outspoken nature. The internet is a terrible place to waste your very articulated opinions. Try telling your friends over the phone instead of burdening the entire broadband with more useless data to transmit.
Of course, this is just a thought from my own mind. So please don't take it too seriously, especially those of you who are letting facebook and myspace steal your proverbial souls.
Until next time,
The Cajun Haole
aka Courtney Bradley

PS-Both the terms, "cajun" and "haole" can be found on wikipedia for your better understanding.

2 comments:

dotsmom said...

Ah, it's called "free speech." And this is a great way to let your friends know what you think without having to talk to all of them.

K. Smith
Eng. 226

Cajun Haole said...

Professor Smith (dotsmom),
I do understand and am an avid supporter of free speech rights. The First Amendment is one of our most endangered, for sure. I don't think I allude to the prohibition of free speech via internet blogs; however, I do feel that perhaps like every other right we have, that some people choose to abuse it or at the least stretch it to the furthest interpretation possibly conceived by our founding fathers upon composing the Bill of Rights.
Thank you for your comment. It was exciting while I anticipated what it would say about my blog.
Courtney (theCajunHaole)