Thursday, October 16, 2008

What's wrong with being greedy?

Lately while I've been trying to plan the wedding, honeymoon, and reception, I've become very stressed out about money. I really do want the most romantic and relaxing ceremony and honeymoon, almost to the point of a cheesy romance movie, and I really would like a reception filled with family and friends and lots of "eat, drink, and be merry"-ing. But all of these events require a substantial budget. Because I've been very ill lately, I finally had to decide for my health reasons to cancel the reception. I had to realize that producing the facade of a happy family and playing the role of a blushing bride, just wasn't in the cards for me. My family does not share any resemblance to any of the iconic TV families of the past, but I still had such a hard time letting go of this unrealistic expectation of "an Autumnal evening outdoors reception on the lake". And regardless of how hard it was to take off my rose colored glasses and see my family for what they are, its actually quite easy to be happy about the decision for one, main reason; not having a reception is saving me lots of money.
I'm an accounting major, not because I love math or numbers, but because it's a highly skilled profession that pays very well and has a strong job market. I think moving out on my own when I turned eighteen really set the foundation for me to become the type of person who counts pennies, so to speak. So why would wanting to keep my own money in my own pocket instead of shell it out for this and that for other people to enjoy be viewed as selfish? Doesn't my money being in my savings do me more good than an expensive party? I was surprised to hear myself called greedy, even stingy. Realistically, I know that no one I know would pay for my rent if a disaster were to befall my life. So since it's a dog-eat-dog situation in today's economy, I would think that these "friends" who are calling me greedy could at least appreciate the sound rationale behind my financial conservatism. I was really taken aback with some of the reactions I've gotten after letting the guests know not to expect a reception. I thought telling them that my health is poor right now and so physically I cannot produce such an affair would be enough to make them see my point, but they are quite stubborn in accepting that a couple would willingly choose to not have a wedding reception. It seemed black and white to me. Aside from my health, the only other thing which keeps me feeling secure in life, is money. I really hate to admit that, but I cannot deny feeling a sense of a better well-being I have when my savings versus feelings of vulnerability and insecurity when it is depleted. I wish being greedy weren't viewed as a terrible character flaw. I think its just being smart. I think that looking after the best interests for me and my husband first, before any others, will help everything be okay. As for what these others have decided to perceive as my character's flaws, I will celebrate as evidence of my own genius.

1 comment:

dotsmom said...

I'm in favor of eloping! Less stress, less hassle, and it costs so little!

Hope your wedding is all you want it to be.

K. Smith
Eng. 226